Tuesday, April 29, 2008

week 8 - slamming the boards

well, maybe I looked at the wrong sites for examples of questions (wikianswers and yahoo 7). I'm afraid I put most of the questions from these 2 sites in the same category as chat sites. An almost total waste of time. (Only time I went on chat forum it was full of computer speak 'where u from, asl etc' same thing over and over. I have observed children in my little branch library lie about everything in order to disguise their real age etc so I don't feel that you would have any confidence in anything that was said. I did answer a question from each of these 2 sites ' a flower starting with a' and the name of an athlete starting with 'u'. It amazes me that instead of typing questions into the search engine, that anyone would waste their time posting a frivolous question to a question board (example 'What is the best excersice to get a 2 pack stomach?' and 'How much money will you need for a trip across the US? ' or even 'How do you get phone numbers from boys?' or' Dog breads that start with the letter U?' or ' What is the structure of tetraiodobistriphenylphosphinetinIV? ' or Is David Beckham Happy in The USA?'. I thought that the librarians wiki was interesting but they must have searched really hard to find decent questions to answer. A better use of time would be to teach people better search techniques so that they can do research for themselves.
I think that it would be good to have a non technical version in the local library. A corkboard and blank cards where questions of interest can be posted along with their answers (subject to a moderator vetting posted questions) could provide a whimsical note of interest. When the librarians find an answer in a book, that book could be featured.

1 comment:

Atticus Mockingbird said...

I think your idea of using the time associated with 'slamming the boards' on teaching better search techniques is good. But I suppose that if we slam the boards, we can detail our search technique, thus teaching whoever reads the answer how they can do it themselves, so in a way - we're already doing the teaching!

I know what you mean about the frivolous questions though! Don't people have better things to do with their time!?!?