Thursday, April 17, 2008

week 6 videos

It's taken me a while to get to this but only because I have had absolutely no spare time. Last Wednesday my M-I-L fell and broke her humerus just below the ball socket on her right (dominant arm). She is 88 and waiting at Nepean for the go ahead for an op to pin it in place (or risk losing the use of the arm)
I enjoyed using youtube and google video. I have been using youtube for some time but not in any organised way - mainly when my sons recommend some funny sites to look at. The CNNN crew have some verrry interrresting questions that they asked Americans (such as name a country starting with the letter U). I have had very little use of Google videos and will admit to only just using the Google images feature (I am now a convert to images). I usually use a search engine called anzwers.com.au at work rather than Google. Had a look at all the places such as Kogarah that were recommended in the week 6 blurb. Beats me why someone would put a video of Haseeb from Kogarah (vacuuming) on the site but I may have missed the joke as the language spoken was not English. I enjoyed such videos as Olive Riley returns to Broken Hill and the book reviews by some of the kids. Some of the puppet videos were bland - too much of the puppet movements were the same thing over and over. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to a couple of author presentations from Mosman and will undoubtedly return and watch some more. I watched half Tim Bowden's talk and all of Peter Moore's talk. I have been a fan of Peter's since reading Vroom with a View. I would dearly love to emulate him and ride a Vespa throughout the countryside but instead of Italy/Tuscany I would love to explore more of Australia that way.
I have embedded a video of OK Go on their treadmills - very clever. I have edited twice because I tried ticking a box for most watched videos and the featured thumbnails of the top 4 videos keep changing. I may be doing this incorrectly but will keep playing with it until it does what I want.
I can see a use for video clips of such things as staff training and perhaps it would be good to present clips of the mini exhibitions that are held in the local history section of the main library. Book reviews would be ok but it would be easier given our limited time & resources to simply link to reviews produced by other libraries. If our library had a blog then featuring links or embedding videos would be a most useful tool.

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

Thanks for persisting despite a really hectic time outside work.

I like the way you have been thinking about the applications for your library.

Ellen