Thursday, May 8, 2008

online applications

Well, you just can't trust computers. I made a slide presentation in both google docs and zoho and after trying to save zoho and thinking I had failed and lost my 2 slides, I checked today and there it is as large as life. Beats me why it said it couldn't save. I had no trouble with google docs - it uploaded a picture that failed to upload on zoho (even though I had pared the size down drastically from the original). I liked the prettiness of zoho but google docs is very functional and user friendly. I was totally unaware of all the applications available online. I will be encouraging customers to use things like google docs as out of 5 public internet access computers in my small branch there are only 3 with office capabilities. I find that there is a heavy demand for the best performing computer and once a customer has backed up their work to the hard drive then that is the computer that they want each time they come to the library. Using online apps will mean an end to that heavy demand and make all computers useful for work processing, presentations etc. It will also mean that customers can go to any of the 3 libraries in our system and be able to access their work anywhere. Our libraries have a very restricted budget and can't run to expensive computer application programs for all our computers so this is a way of customers not missing out on any features without the cost to us. For children it will mean that they can collaborate on assignments by sharing docs and that they can all contribute at different times from either the library or at home. If one child forgets to come to the library at an appointed time then another child has access to the work already done. I will be exploring these online applications further to better inform the customers of what is available.

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

Mysterious things can happen with computers at times. It sounds like you have had a frustrating time, but it also sounds like you have had an interesting time of discovery.

Ellen (PLS)